Saundersfoot has ample hotels, guest houses, cafes, restaurants and shops and they're frequent summer shows in the village hall. The countryside around is also rewarding to visit, green, wooded and undulating with picnic areas and camping sites and walks through both inland and along the coast. One of the favourites is along the old coal tramway and through a tunnel to adjacent Wiseman’s Bridge.
Saundersfoot is such a tranquil place in summer weather that it is difficult to understand why its harbour is protected by such stout stone walls. Built like a fortress with a narrow entrance facing inland, away from the direction of the waves, it seems to afford an excessive degree of shelter. But this harbour was built to accommodate far bigger and sturdier boats than the holiday craft which now packs the marina - the sailing colliers and fishing boats which served the village’s original industry of coal export and fishing on a commercial scale.
The newly built harbour might have looked indestructible, but it had hardly been run in when a violent hurricane struck from the south-east in 1836, seriously breaching and damaging the harbour wall and wrecking two ships, which were torn from their moorings. It is difficut for present-day visitors to imagine such violence when they look out from the seafront at the calm waters of Carmarthen Bay and gentle waves lapping the golden sand.
Thank the Lord that in modern Saundersfoot hurricanes hardly ever happen. The beach is wide and child and family friendly, shelving gradually to provide lots of paddling space, although, like any beach parental suervision is necessary if children play with light plastic dinghies or Lilos which the lightest breeze can sweep seawards. Within the living memory of older folk best quality anthracite from Saundersfoot was being shipped out to far-flung places, brought down in trains of trams pulled by steam locomotives, the line running along the middle of the main street.